Mighty Magma inspired album by French drummer Jean Paul Pratt.
This is excellent Zeuhl styled music with an intensity only equalled by Vanders supergoup. The themes explored are superb. Heavy bass, blasts of brass with wailing vocals and intricate drumwork juxtapose brilliantly against the more delicate moments from piano / rhodes / winds. Especially so on the lengthy title track. The others pieces being much more fluid and slightly brighter and airy, still quite excellent though, and not unlike some 'Troll' or ' Eider Stellaire'
An indispensable album for Magma and Eider Stellaire fans too. 'Masal' is truly a masterpiece of the genre.
Songs / Tracks Listing
1. Masal (42:20)
2. Messagers De Notre-Dame (15:56)
3. Maran Atha-Sélah (9:13)
4. Valse Funèbre (5:11)
5. Origines - Seconde Partie (3:33)
Line-up / Musicians Track 1 lineup:
- Jean-Paul Prat / drums, piano, vocals
- Hervé Gourru / bass
- Jean-Jacques Willig / piano, synthesizers
- Viviane Galo / piano, vocals
- Norbert Galo / guitar
- Alain Escure / guitar
- Carlo Grassi / guitar
- Eric Duval / percussions
- Gérard Geoffroy / flutes, quena, panpipes
- Richard Heritier / saxophones, flute
- Georges Rolland / saxophones
- Richard Negro / trumpet
- Gilles Morard / trombone
- Bernard Morard / French horn